Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hello mister, pleased to meet ya

I listen to Pandora often at work. Spotify makes me feel like an old lady because I still haven't really figured it out and I start mumbling about technology and tarnation when people ask me if I use it. So yes, I use Pandora. I have about 20 stations. Some are well, ridiculous and embarrassing so let's start with those: Ke$ha is for spontaneous dance parties and Katy Perry is for belting loudly. Both only at home as I doubt my employees would appreciate either actions. I consider myself somewhat of a music snob but I still ashamedly fall prey to catchy songs, so sue me. I have the most wonderful Christmas station: a mix of classics (basically the playlist from Home Alone) and Sufjan Stevens style hymns and boy was it good for my soul this past season (get it here and save for next December!). Lana Del Rey is for feeling like an angsty — but dreamy — 20 something (comparable to emo music as a teen), Fanfarlo is for quirk and fun, Death Cab for Cutie and The Shins are for reliving high school and college, and All Sons & Daughters is one of the best Christian music stations ever, although Jon Foreman is a close second. It all makes for an odd mix, I know.

But usually when I load Pandora, my Angus and Julia Stone station kicks on, often with a hook like Big Jet Plane. It is humanly impossible (impossible!!) for me to change the station when the Stones are crooning and so it is settled just like that, this is my station for a few hours. The music crawls into my heart and swells and soothes and I know that today is going to be alright.
(A photo I took working from home one day with a helpful Lars)

7 comments:

  1. well now i have some new music to listen to - thank you for that! and how cuuuuute is that picture! you're going to laugh at how similar our photos are when my next post comes out on wednesday. what is it with cats and our laptops? secretly - they want to be bloggers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always excited about cat photos so I'm looking forward to this!! If cats knew how to use computers I'm fairly certain they could take over the world. ;)

      Delete
  2. 1. I love that blanket! So cozy looking. 2. We share wildly similar music tastes. And those few I haven't heard of yet...I'm excited to research. 3. Our love of cats and other complementary tastes suggest we are kindred. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I be embarrassed or proud that it's actually my sweater, not a blanket? Haha! But really, the reason I got it is because it's like wearing a blanket. :)
      And hurray for finding a kindred spirit! The internet is really great this way, you know?!

      Delete
    2. PS We did get married on the same exact day which I forgot about! CLEARLY kindred.

      Delete
  3. I still use Pandora too! Guess that makes me an old lady huh?! ;)

    ReplyDelete