Monday, August 6, 2012

Up

One evening, we headed to Indianola for the annual balloon festival.

We are from Arizona. In Arizona, nothing is ever cancelled due to something as insignificant as the weather. So, when we saw the weather report with a chance of rain and wind, we still loaded up and headed to the festival. Even though as we sat at the festival, these clouds loomed over us. I'm kind of embarrassed now at our naivety.

But to our credit, all of the native Iowans did the same! The festival was packed with impatient people as we waited around to see if the balloons would actually be cleared for take-off. I was probably the most impatient because once again, we were unprepared so we didn't pack any chairs or even a blanket. I guess we were just so excited to the balloons? But we sat and sat in that scratchy grass.

Finally, after probably 45 minutes of waiting, they announced the wind speeds were too high so the balloons were a no-go. Cue the frustration.

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending as we went back the next evening. The skies were clear and the balloons were beautiful.

My childhood sense of awe and wonder was awakened as each balloon lifted off and gracefully floated away. You better believe my bucket list includes a hot-air balloon ride.


As each balloon took off, an announcer told us where the pilot was from. Nearly all were from the midwest, let alone one from Japan and this yellow & red one that was from, of all places, Tempe, AZ!


While the balloons were entertaining, these triplets that sat in front of us were possibly even more entertaining than the balloons. I unabashedly gawked at their cuteness the whole time. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought they were cute, because this old man started taking pictures of them with a polaroid camera. YES!

It was magical. All of it.*
 

*okay, except for the humidity ;)

10 comments:

  1. I have a thing for Hot Air Balloons, I'm glad you got to see some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, those photos are so dreamy! I love hot air balloons but you can have the ride - I'm terrified of heights. :) My husband really wants to ride in one, but I don't think he'll ever get me up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh -- I was ooh-ing and aww-ing over the balloons... until I got to those three tiny triplets!! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness, the balloon festival looks amazing. i'd love to see something like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that one shot with all the balloons in the air, its gorgeous! All the balloons are so pretty. What a fun festival. Glad you had fun (the second day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gosh, riding in an air balloon is definitely on my bucket list. how fabulous are these pictures. so whimsical!
    and triplets are SO fascinating. it's not every day that you see any. too cute!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone ever told you that you have perfect teeth? 'Cause you do.
    Also, you take pretty pictures. And I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your man are so cute! love the balloon festival & my heart is in AZ. thats where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. woww... I would seriously love to go to one of these. It seems so magical and somehow reminds me of the movie Tangled! You got some really cute pictures. More cities need to have these balloon festivals!



    giveaway over at The House of Shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete