Thursday, August 9, 2012

Eggslist

Recently I took my hippie-dom and my craigslisting to whole new heights.

Ready for it?

I bought some eggs from a posting I saw on craigslist. Craigslist gives some of my friends the shudders so I can only imagine the mini earthquake they're having right now.

(Lars LOVED them)

If anyone is interested in the reasons, here goes. If you have a hippie radar, it's about to get loud (just warning you). Several months ago I decided to stop buying the most basic of eggs at the supermarket. I no longer could feel good about myself buying eggs from chickens living in atrocious environments with atrocious diets. I no longer wanted to support those unsustainable farming practices and I no longer wanted to eat eggs that were devoid of the nutrition true eggs should have. Ultimately I would like to this with all my food, but eggs was one of the first things to change.

I have bought cage-free eggs since then. They are free of antibiotics and usually are fed a vegetarian diet. They are also more expensive, but that is something I have personally chosen to pay more for.

So why now did I go the craiglist route? Largely in part due to this article on Food Renegade. Even though the cage-free eggs are a step up from the basic eggs, there's a huge chance they still have no access to the outdoors. And the best part? The eggs from my craigslist friend are cheaper than the supermarket "cage-free" eggs. They are only $2 a dozen, whereas many supermarket eggs are $3-5.

I am one happy hippie. I am able to support someone locally, I know the chickens are healthy, and the eggs are full of nutrients.

And in case anyone is curious, I simply searched for "eggs."

Finally, has anyone seen Food, Inc? If not, I heartily recommend it! I saw this video yesterday and couldn't help but share it. Once you start getting into food politics, there aren't many happy updates. But this one made my heart smile.

8 comments:

  1. I, for one, think this is great and not crazy hippie-ish at all (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Eggs are so inexpensive anyway, I think it's worth the egg-stra (sorry) couple bucks to get cruelty-free eggs. Plus I mostly just use them for baking, so I don't buy them so much. In the spring/summer, I get them from a lady at my local farmer's market, and they taste sooo much better. I will have to check craigslist in the winter after the market closes shop! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I love this post! (And your kitty!) I'm gonna have fun blog stalking you now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this makes my little hippie heart go pitter patter. :)

    This is awesome. We eat a ton of eggs, but we also live near a ton of farms... so no need to craigslist here. But I love that you went to that extent! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. And I didn't think it was hippie at all.. I think it's just really sweet and smart of people. I think animals lives are totally precious. I think its just the right thing to do to make sure animals are treated humanly. And some people treat them horrible and I never want to support that. So, totally proud of you girl! If you're not going to support the way they treat even those little chickens, then more power to you ;)
    I hope that one day they'll all be able to be happy and roam around and plop out eggs for us. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel legitimately concerned that if I read that article you linked to, that I will soon be buying eggs online. Oh bless our hippie hearts. AND I LOVE CRAIGSLIST DON'T LET ANYONE EVER TALK YOU OUT OF IT. (...outburst.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the idea of cage-free eggs. hah, how much were you able to buy these eggs for? I think it's a pretty great idea :) just go with your man when you pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this! that movie grossed me out so much. i started buying all the expensive chicken from whole foods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good job! that is a great price! ours were $2.99 at the store, so i may look into this, or the farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete