Friday, August 10, 2012

Blessings

First day of school pictures are hard when you have a split level house and you're in your pajamas so you don't want to go outside for the picture. But nevertheless, this handsome fellow had his first day of orientation on Tuesday.
When did he get so old and professional and business casual?

I'm just so proud of him! Proud of how eagerly he is taking on this next stage of life. I usually approach each new change with one toe in, full of trepidation. Jason, on the other hand, is jumping in straight from the high dive. He's going to be one great med student.

All of the new students were given tickets to the local minor league baseball game (miss you D-backs). Jason kindly snagged me an extra ticket, so I got to meet many of his new classmates for the first time. I couldn't help but remember the days when Jason would be my +1, and he would sit through copious amounts of design school conversations. How the tables have turned, my friends. For the next 4 years, we will be talking allllll about rotations and clinicals and residency and patients and well, you get the idea.

We've already been so blessed here in Des Moines. With each blessing, I know it's a sign that we are where God wants us. The first week, I felt like I had so little. Like I had lost so much. I know it's all in my attitude, but I had to mourn the change. But you know what? I think God had to strip me down to the essentials so that I could see his providence in my life. With each new blessing, I have all the more reason to celebrate now! He is teaching me to rely on him and teaching me what joy really is.

Yesterday I had an interview. Being a designer makes the interview preparation more challenging because I have to get my portfolio in order. I wish I could say I wasn't, but I was scrambling to get things in order beforehand. And just when I had resigned to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to include as many pieces as I wanted to from my senior thesis, the doorbell rang. It was my senior thesis book that I had ordered but hadn't planned on having for my interview. It was a miracle straight from God.

I know things will be hard. Jason starts school on Monday and we will have to relearn how to do life in this new stage. But we have God's promises to cling to, always.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7

4 comments:

  1. You guys are gonna do so great! If they ever are talking too much about doctory stuff, just throw around the term "enzyme immunoassays" and how they have changed the diagnostic world. That'll get 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck to both of you!! You guys are the smartest people I know and so talented. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to Jason! How excited! Good Luck with your interview..hope it goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I've always wanted to visit! Go Jason! Med school? Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete