Thursday, August 23, 2012

Aaaand, there's your dresser


This is kind of an old story, but I still want to share it. 

Back when we still had our moving truck, we were trying to find some of the furniture needed so we wouldn't have to pay for the delivery. One thing we needed was a credenza-type piece for our TV. I found a dresser on craigslist that wasn't perfect, but it was mid-century modern and for the price it would do.

After emailing the owner, I told him what time would work for me. The next day at our appointment time, we go to his house, moving truck and all. As in, us circling the block more than once trying to develop a strategy for parking, at least one argument about said parking, me getting out of the truck and waving Jason into the driveway, moving truck and all. We were ready for this dresser.

We weren't sure if we should go to the front door or not, so we stood in the lawn for a moment when the owner comes around from the side of the house. He was college age and for some reason I could imagine him as an actor in a Renaissance fair. Maybe that gives you a better picture of him? Anyway, he reached out his hand and introduced himself. We took turns shaking hands and then we stood silent, looking to him for direction.

He paused, then gestured to the street and said, "Aaaaand, there's your dresser." I blinked in confusion as an SUV accelerated off into the distance. It took me longer than it should have to realize what was going on, but when I looked back at him, I knew. My eyes narrowed. I didn't need to look at Jason because I could feel his reaction.

The guy told us in a jolly manner that he had developed his own method of dealing with craigslist. Tell everyone to come at the same time and whoever gets it first, gets it. And apparently, some other family had beat us to the punch.

I really hold no residual anger towards Renaissance man, I only wish he would have warned us. Because like I said, we were moving truck and all. Our time felt wasted but once we got back into the truck and simultaneously spit out a few choice words about our friend, we felt better.  We know an even better credenza is out there, we just need to find it! (and sadly buckle down and pay a delivery fee)

Aaaaand, that's the end.

10 comments:

  1. Arg, this is why I love/HATE craiglist so much! Seriously, people are so selfish. Haha!

    And thanks for the kind words on my blog, Emily! Your comment made me smile and brightened my morning, fo' sho'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?? Haha, what a weird dude. But really, I would have been ticked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously!?! messed up! I think whoever contacts him first should be able to come see it. But I guess he can make his own rules. rude though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh. my. gosh. maybe this shouldn't be so funny to me, but it was....how ridiculous can people be?? his one-liner was the best: "Aaaaand there's your dresser." I want you to make a shirt with that on it. I usually want to put everything on a shirt though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. !!! I am so angry at this guy on your behalf, what a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, seriously...what?! that is beyond strange. I've never even heard of people doing that! The right credenza will find you, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sad day! I recently had something like that happen to me instead of a moving van it was a trailer and a 3 hour drive and instead of a credenza it was a couch. Hope you find what you are looking for AND you get free delivery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cruel! That makes me so sad and skeptical of buying anything on Craigslist. I hope you find something awesome soon. Labor Day weekend is a great weekend to hit up the yard sales!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ick! That is horrible. You'll find something better, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete