Thursday, July 12, 2012

Split Pea Soup

It's been a long time since I've shared a recipe! I've been trying to clean out our refrigerator and cupboards, so soup is always a great solution for leftover vegetables.

Yes, temperatures have been as high as 113 recently, but I'm still eating soup. I really love it that much. And if you are one who normally eats "soup" out of a can, do yourself a favor and try making your own. I promise you won't be able to go back. 


Split Pea Soup
Adapted from AllRecipes 

Ingredients
2 cups dried split peas
1 quart cold water
1 quart chicken broth/stock
1 1/2 pounds ham bone (I substituted ham hock because I couldn't find ham bones. I'd never even heard of it and it's kind of terrifying to look at it, but it worked great and was really inexpensive!)
2 onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt (I recommend more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pinch dried marjoram
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 potato, diced

Directions
In a bowl, cover peas with water at least an inch high than the peas and soak overnight.
The next day, simmer water, broth, and ham bones/hock in stock pot for 1 hour.
Rinse off the peas in a colander and then add to a stock pot.  Add onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. Cover, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove bone/hocks; if any meat from bone, cut off meat, dice and return meat to soup. Add celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook slowly, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.


The next day, I realized I had some Turkey Kielbasa Sausage. I cut that up and put it in the soup as well, but you can also add this when you add the vegetables. A whole sausage would be just perfect.

Also, this is full of vegetables but thanks to the ham flavoring, it tastes much richer than typical vegetable soup. It was my first time making it, but I'm sure it won't be my last.

P.S.! For another reason to skip the canned soup, check out this article!

5 comments:

  1. this looks amazinggg. i'm such a sucker for soup too. in any weather.

    ps. thanks for the dry cleaning tip! ahhaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Split pea soup is one of my all time favorites! My grandma used to make it for me when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, this actually looks absolutely delicious!!! needing some soup right about now!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, split pea is one of my all-time favorites. I am a complete homemade soup convert also, because of the outrageous amounts of sodium in canned, and because soup is so easy and so good to make. I'm going to have to try this one! Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't mind cooking in the summer heat sometimes!

    ReplyDelete