Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ode to the green couch


Maybe this is part of growing up, but I really love furniture. Yard sales, estate sales, antique stores, craigslist postings... it's the furniture that really gets me excited. And many times, the older the better. And so, I have become a bit of a furniture collector because of it. It's a dangerous, dangerous hobby.

The green couch story begins one Saturday I took my friend Marisa estate saling. Yes, it's a verb, and yes, it's one of my favorite activities. It was a pretty disappointing run and the only thing we bought was a cloth measuring tape Marisa found. But we did sit on a couch. A big, green velvet couch. I admired its mid century modern lines.

When Marisa was buying the measuring tape, the ladies running the sale started teasing us about the couch. I don't think they even knew I liked it, but it was a good strategy. I had already pushed the couch out of my mind, but now I was thinking about it. We still left; no couch.

Later that day, I was still thinking about it. I figured an email wouldn't hurt, so I emailed through the craigslist post and asked it was still available. One excited response later, and I found myself on the phone talking the lady down to quite the steal of a price.

But my husband! He hadn't even seen it, nor did he sound very thrilled. And how would we transport it? And that green color. Did I really want a green couch?

Enter my friend Thomas. We bonded over our love of mid century modern furniture. He really is the very best person to take to an antique store because he gets excited about everything. I texted him about the "situation." I knew he would steer me right. He had many encouraging words, and when I told him I was concerned about the color he said: "I'm picturing a fairly green couch which you could add some fun pillows with like a grey and citron print and some plain pillows in like chartreuse and then you could have either a more chartreuse or citron as your main color you know?" Can you see why I love him so much?

Fast forward through a lot of back and forth between Jason, and I mean a lot. Finally, I bought the couch and a nice man named Ramon transported it for us. Yes, I also found him through craigslist.

This story ends well, because we both love the couch. And as a bonus, Lars loves it too. Him and allll of his white hair. The best moment was when the 3 of us (Lars included) all took a nap on it together. We haven't had a nap couch for a couple months so it was glorious.

Once we move, we hope to update the couch a bit with some taller legs. We're also considering removing that skirt, but that will be more complicated. Time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. I love that couch! We just finished sitting on one almost exactly like that at my husband's great-uncle's.

    I love the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes! It's a totally fun couch, but I like how you came by it even more. I never thought about getting movers on Craigslist. Brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!! I will defiantly be checking out that article in the New Yorker {ahh..I love the New Yorker}
    On another note. I love that sofa. It is such an amazing deep color! Plus it tells a story in itself. Talk about family stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want your hair. so pretty! your photos are quite adorable & i love reading your blog.

    love it all.

    -h.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your natural hair- gah! it kills me. i like. my hair is as straight as a board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok we just need to acknowledge the fact that i have an unhealthy obsession with a) thrifted furniture and b) anything green.

    ReplyDelete