Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The story of how I cried a lot, but then got things done



One of the biggest parts of senior year in the graphic design program is our senior show. We look forward to it and dread it all year. We also spend all year researching a social issue and then designing an educational campaign around our research.

My final thesis was called "Back to Butter," a call to return to butter, a food free of science and artificiality. I got to compare margarine and butter, talk about fat a lot (so glamorous) and fend off people linking me with this lady (sorry but Paula Deen has never advocated healthy eating even if she does love her some butter).

Just in case you're interested in how I chose this topic, it was about the time I started reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and found a whole community online that disputes the "science" we follow in regard to heart disease and the fats in our diet. Although the site looks a bit hokey, Weston Price has some great articles on this, including this one on dietary fat. I don't want to push my own agendas on you, but it has been fascinating to me to take a step back and begin rethinking everything I believe about nutrition. I could talk about this forever but I shall resist. If you are still interested, feel free to ask me more; just know I might possibly talk all day and all night about it. Jason will verify this statement (bless his heart).

Back-tracking a little bit, below is one of the posters I designed in the fall semester for the show. At full size it's 24"x36" so it looks kind of odd at this size. This made the short-list to be voted on for the final poster to represent the entire show. Mine didn't win, but it was still exciting to make the cut.


There was a lot of build up to our show, and finally I was tasked with actually building my exhibit. Building is always my least favorite part of the process. My stress levels skyrocket and I start making ridiculous mistakes. Jason can also verify this statement. What this all leads to is me crying a lot. Straight up ugly crying over a piece of acrylic with the wrong strip of vinyl lettering on it. In the week of building my exhibit, I think I had at least 3 crying sessions where I moaned about being stupid and not being able to do this and I'm such a failure. It's all very dramatic but in the moment rather terrible.

Why am I sharing this with the internet? Who knows, except that it highlights the fact that Jason is a saint for putting up with me. And not just putting up with me, but helping me in every way possible and being altogether my sanity when I had none myself.

It was one of the hardest weeks of my 4 years at ASU, but also one of the best; not just because I survived it, but because I fell in love with my husband all over again. It's all mushy, but it's true. His selfless dedication to my projects made a world of difference and I really couldn't have pulled it off without him. He was there cutting out and folding each takeaway, painting my exhibit walls, sawing miscellaneous pieces of masonite, more painting, touching up the poor paint job after my stencil failure, mixing epoxy for my acrylic pieces.... he never complained. I never forced him to do any of it, he volunteered the entire time. He listened to my crazy meltdowns and helped me problem solve when something wasn't working. I was at my worst and he still loved me. A true example of agape love.




The good news is that I finally got my exhibit hung up and had a good time at the show. It was a unique experience, to say the least, but in the end, I was proud of all of us.


This is my finished exhibit (with some strange lighting).




And some of the lovely people in my life.





3 comments:

  1. Ah, congrats!!! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your peach dress is incredible, and i love your butter display. i also love healthy food and will go explore this butter issue!

    ReplyDelete