Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just trust, and trust, and trust


The weight of our looming decisions was heavy last night. These are big decisions, expensive and difficult and complicated and stressful. Decisions that will affect us for the rest of our lives. Decisions that will put us in debt and shape our family life for decades.

I don't always handle these stressful situations well, but I praise God for them because they bring me to my knees often. My prayers are earnest and the scriptures are poignant. I am often reminded of how little I know about this life, and how crucial is it to trust the One who knows it all.

My mom gave me an old devotional called Streams in the Desert (first published in 1925). I opened it up last night and read the entry for February 15. I couldn't help but cry at how clearly it spoke to my situation. I'm humbled at how the Lord speaks to me, and so blessed that he does.

The entry's daily verse: "'Fret not thyself.' Psalm 37.1"

"Do not get unduly heated! Keep cool! Even in a good cause, fretfulness is not a wise help-meet. Fretfulness only heats the bearings, it does not generate the steam."

"Dear restless heart, be still; don't fret and worry so; God has a thousand ways his love and help to show; Just trust, and trust, and trust, until His will you know."
(an excerpt from The Silver Lining by Edith Willis Linn)

Recently I was brought to one of my favorite Bible verses again, and it has been my prayer as we seek God's will through these decisions. It became my favorite when I saw some boys at a summer church camp wearing pink shirts (and this was before pink was "cool" for men to wear) that said "Real men wear pink." On the back, Romans 12:2 was referenced. It caught my attention, and the verse has always been dear to my heart as my natural inclination is to conform to fit in and stay safe.

Add on verse 1 and it's a great daily reminder.

"Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God."
Romans 12:1-2


These pictures were taken at The Icehouse in Phoenix. It's where my class is holding our senior show in a few short months!

1 comment:

  1. I hope I can be as wise as you one day...
    P.S. Beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete