Saturday, October 22, 2011

Scenes and seasoning

Happy weekend!

A few random tidbits from my life:



Jason surprised me with a cast iron skillet last weekend. We've been going to a lot of weddings and giving a lot of gifts so Jason decided it was time for us to get a gift. It was a pleasant surprise to find it in the kitchen and I love it! I had been wanting and waiting for one for a long time now, and after reading about the dangers of the non-stick and aluminum pans, I feel a lot better about cooking with this. It came pre-seasoned but I still got a lot of sticking my first time using it. I will learn in time.

The bus schedule is kind of erratic, so yesterday I found myself walking home and snapping pictures with my cell phone. There are several old homes on Mill right across from campus and I admire them every time I go by. They're quaint, charming houses - not too big, a little worn but well-cared for. I'm not sure how old they are, but I know they've seen many more years than I have.



And I didn't think I would ever say this, but I found some great recipes on Paula Deen's website. I had kind of pre-judged her without really knowing her. Well, consider me humbled, because I want to cook nearly each recipe in her fall soup collection.



Yum, yum, yum.

Side note: I've never been a big fan of soup, and neither has Jason. But then something marvelous happened. We started cooking our own soup, and suddenly, we're both sold on soup. Sorry Campbells!

2 comments:

  1. Campbell's is so nasty once you've discovered good soup recipes. I found a corn chowder recipe on Pinterest and made it the other night.... MMMMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those soups look delicious. I love soup, but Tyler is not yet sold on it. He always says "it's not real food."

    ReplyDelete