Friday, August 5, 2011

Green stuff and confessions

Confession #1: I had big plans for today and how productive I was going to be. Instead, it was a flop full of frustrations, so I ended up sulking on the couch eating too many butterscotch morsels watching SYTYCD. But there's always tomorrow, right?

Moving on....

Confession #2: I don't love vegetables.

I'm slowly starting to like them, but I still have to find creative ways to eat them. I really want my diet to be full of vegetables and I'm building up to that.

One recipe I tried recently was Mint Pea Dip. Isn't it an awesome thing to have a dip made of veggies? That you can dip other veggies in or smear on bread and crackers! The recipe is from My New Roots, which is a pretty fantastic blog, if just for the photography alone, with unique and healthy recipes.



Simple Mint Pea Dip

Ingredients

3 cups fresh or frozen green peas
zest of 1 un-waxed, organic lemon (Confession #3: I just used a plain ol lemon)
3 Tbsp. lemon juice (approx. ½ lemon)
1 large clove garlic
¼ cup packed mint leaves
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tbsp. raw tahini (optional, but makes the dip creamy)
¼ tsp. sea salt

Directions

1. If using frozen peas, leave out to thaw completely, or cook them in step 2. If using raw peas, skip over to step 3.
2. To blanche the peas (this enhances their sweetness), bring a pot of water to the boil, add peas and cook for 2-3 minutes (no more!). Plunge them into an ice bath or very cold water to halt the cooking process. Set aside.
3. Put whole clove of garlic in a food processor and pulse to mince. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high to puree.
4. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days, but try to consume as quickly as possible.

It's really fresh and yummy! Jason wasn't in love with it, but he ate it multiple days in a row. That's got to count for something.

Confession #4: The background in the picture above is my concrete patio. Glamorous, right?

1 comment:

  1. I was trying to figure out where in your house you found such good lighting! sounds interesting, I bet if i made it, that paul would like it.

    ReplyDelete