Friday, June 24, 2011

East of Eden


On of my classmates loaned me East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I've had it now for probably 5 months and STILL haven't finished it. The first half of the book, and we're talking 200 pages worth, was sooooo slow for me. I hate to admit it because it's a classic, and I feel like I have to like it.

It finally picked up for me after Cathy had the twins, and mercy there have been some descriptions that shock me they're so beautiful. Samuel Hamilton is such a fantastic character and most of my favorite moments in the book have been with him. Can I share a few with you? I doubt anyone will read on, but I want to save these for myself, so I can take all the bookmarks out of my book.

Page 282
...Samuel rode lightly on top of a book and balanced happily among ideas the way a man rides white rapids in a canoe. But Tom got into a book, crawled and groveled between the covers, tunneled like a mole among the thoughts, and came up with the book all over his face and hands.
(My favorite favorite favorite!)

Page 293
Places were very important to Samuel. The ranch was a relative, and when he left it he plunged a knife into a darling. But having made up his mind, Samuel set about doing it well. He made formal calls on all of his neighbors, the old-timers who remembered how it used to be and how it was. And when he drove away from his old friends they knew they would not see him again, although he did not say it. He took to gazing at the mountains and the trees, even at faces, as thought to memorize them for eternity.

Page 295
"Do you take pride in your hurt?" Samuel asked. "Does it make you seem large and tragic?"

Page 305
"I know it. I think that's why I picked him when he was a colt. Do you know I paid two dollars for him thirty-three years ago? Everything was wrong with him, hoofs like flapjacks, a hock so thick and short and straight there seems no joint at all. He's hammerheaded and swatbacked. He has a pinched chest and a big behind. He has an iron mouth and he still fights the crupper. With a saddle he feels as though you were riding a sled over a gravel pit. He can't trot and he stumbles over his feet when he walks. I have never in thirty-three years found one good thing about him. He even has an ugly disposition. He is selfish and quarrelsome and mean and disobedient. To this day I don't dare walk behind him because he will surely take a kick at me. When I feed him mash he tries to bite my hand. And I love him." (Samuel)

Okay that's enough for now, I need to get ready for work! But I'll leave you with a picture of James Dean, because apparently he was in an East of Eden movie. Hi James!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Emily. This makes me really want to read this now! I'll have to remember to get through the first, but I think I'll like it, just from what you put here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he kind of looks like Robert Patinson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read it too! Maybe I'll have to go on a cruise or something so I can finish it. ha

    ReplyDelete