Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Urban Hippie

After a good talk with Jason on our drive home from Thatcher yesterday, I finally pinpointed what I want to be when I grow up.

I love the city. It wasn't love at first sight. It was a slow process but now I can say with certainty I really do love love love the city. I love the attitude, the culture, the food, the diversity, the big dreams everyone has.

I'm going to go off on a bit of tangent here. Growing up, one of my favorite places in the world to visit was St. Louis. My family usually went camping out in the middle of nowhere for vacations, which really was great, but there was something about St. Louis that got me. Just in the last week or so, I finally connected that joy as a child to the joy I feel when exploring a big city. That was a big moment of realization for me.

Another thing I love is food. The more I learn about the US food industry, the more I want to avoid the mainstream masproduced food as much as possible (this is a whole other issue so I won't even get started on the reasons). So along with that, I've had the crazy idea that I want to have chickens. Like chickens that lay fresh eggs. Of course if I have chickens, I have to also have a garden with herbs and veggies and fruit.

What does is all boil down to? I want to be an urban hippie. I may be overeaching here in wanting the best of both a small town and a city, but it's my dream. I want to be a part of vibrant city, knowing all the best restaurants and having an annual pass to the museums, but also have a mini farm in my backyard where I can raise fresh food for my family (is there anything more granola than raising my own food? oh yeah, and I'm going to garden in birkenstocks). I think the compromise for us would be to live in a suburb that allows us to have a big yard. Close to the city, but not too close to have to deal with downtown traffic and far enough away that we have some room to spread out.

Oh yeah, the best part: Jason is totally on the same page as me. I love that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment