Saturday, April 9, 2011

Down by the water and the tide keeps rising

What a week. It was busy and filled with events and goings on, all school-related of course, and I didn't quite hold it together. Yesterday found me in tears because I felt overwhelmed and spread thin. I can't say that's anything new; I've been known to cry about school when I'm stressed.

Today, after a good night of sleep and waking up to the relaxing sound of rain, I feel refreshed. As I sit alone in my little apartment, I've been reflecting on the last week, and there really were so many good moments! Sometimes in the storm it's easy to forget how lucky I am, but now that a few of the clouds have cleared, I can wholeheartedly say it was a good week.

Some highlights:

T-shirt Competition


My coworker Regan and I were given the task of essentially coordinating an entire event for our school. We held a t-shirt competition and our boss was conveniently gone this week, so all the responsibility fell on us. And let me tell you, everything that could have gone wrong, did. But when things go wrong, that is just an opportunity to trust God, and he brought everything together in the end.

*There was a group of tables that we had to move from the basement of one building to the first floor of another building. Regan and I each grabbed a heavy table and dragged them to the other building. Regan is about my size and she kept saying, "We're just little girls!" as we ungracefully maneuvered the tables. The irony of us "little girls" moving those big tables was enough to keep me laughing the whole time, and I even had to take a few breaks because I was laughing so hard. At that point, we had been through a lot with the event, and we just had to laugh at the whole situation.

*One of the major crises with our event was that the professor that was supposed to help us had an unplanned heart surgery that prior weekend and consequently we had to work without him. He was supposed to bring a pool pole to hang the t-shirt display, which was wire suspended across a 3-story atrium in our building. We didn't realize until half an hour before we were supposed to hang the t-shirts that we no longer were getting that pool pole. Cue panic. One of the other professors had the bright idea to ask the janitor and he provided us an extendable feather duster with a bright pink, Dr. Suess-like fluffy top. It worked perfectly, and seeing the shirts being hung with that was so ridiculous and wonderful.



What a rewarding moment to stand on the first floor and watch the shirts begin filling the space up to the third floor, as students watched on with interest. I took this picture on my dinky phone but if you look hard, you can see towards the top on of my classmates in a red shirt pushing the shirt out with the feather duster.

Scaring Jason

On Wednesday night, I was getting out of class when Jason texted me that he was on campus using the computer lab and that he could give me a ride home. He was still going to be another ten minutes or so. I went outside to wait until he told me he was heading towards the car. Slowly, I began walking towards the parking lot, figuring I could wait outside for him and save time. Once I got to the car, I had a much more brilliant idea come to me.

I quickly unlocked the car and lay down in the backseat, hoping it was dark enough to not be seen. Jason called and told me if I waited outside my building, he could come pick me up. I commented on how thoughtful he was and said I would be waiting for him. A minute later, he began unlocking the car door and I popped up and screamed. I stop screaming, but he continued for a good 20 seconds. The look of terror on his face was perfection and I will still be laughing about it for fifty years to come.

Trash Photoshoot


One of our school projects is a guidebook on green living for an apartment complex of elderly people. My group is using photographs for our narrative, so we had to stage quite an interesting photoshoot. Some of our topics are things you can and cannot recycle, put down the garbage disposal, put in the microwave, etc.

So last night we stayed to photograph a banana peel, a chicken bone, a dirty can of soup, a pizza box, a multitude of plastic and glass products... the list goes on. We were so entertained by how ridiculous our stash of trash looked. We have this professinal looking photo tent and my classmate is hovering over with a digital slr, taking a picture of a chicken bone on a black piece of paper. So fun.

And now I share with you a few of the best.... mind you, these are unedited and the color is all wrong so they will look better after photoshop has its say.





The things we do for school.....

1 comment:

  1. hehe. i like that you scared jason. vedy vedy sneaky of jew!

    ReplyDelete