Saturday, January 22, 2011

Food thoughts



The more I read and learn, the more I want to completely change my diet.

The ideal:
More fruits and vegetables than meat
Little to no red meat
More raw food than cooked (obviously not meat)
All whole-grains
All whole-fat dairy with no homogenization (click for more info)
More organic foods
Less corn syrup, more natural sugars like honey and agave nectar
Little to no pre-packaged foods

There's probably more but that's what I have so far. This is pretty radical for me, considering I can down a can of Pringles in an hour. Another important factor is being a poor college student and we can't necessarily afford to shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Because of those two factors, I'm trying to slowly incorporate this into our lives. More salads, whole grain bread, less meat. Only time will tell as to how many of these standards we can adopt.

One fun way Jason and I have found to eat our vegetables is this smoothie recipe for a "Green Monster." It's yummy, easy, and healthy - the best of everything.

Two books I want to read:
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

That's all I have for now... just a little Saturday musing for you (and a nice break from my cluster project - there may be more on that later, but let's just say, it's a doozy)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily...I totally blog stalk you--ha, ha. Anyhow, I make a really similar smoothie and I love it. Lots of times I'll add blueberries and then it doesn't look quite so green (and frightening)!

    ReplyDelete