Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sweetly broken

Sweetly Broken
by Jeremy Riddle

To the cross I look, to the cross I cling
Of it's suffering I do drink
Of it's work I do sing

For on it my Savior both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just

At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love,
I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered

What a priceless gift, undeserved life
Have I been given
Through Christ crucified

You’ve called me out of death
You’ve called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I’m reconciled

In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous Your redeeming love and
How great is Your faithfulness

Sweetly broken is perfect for my life right now. I really have been broken... tired (so very tired) and feeling worthless and lost. School has a great way of tearing me down and taking the joy out of my life when it gets hard. I give everything and it's still not enough.

And yet, I really have been shown what a blessing this is. As one of Christ's beloved, I'm not just broken, but sweetly broken. Because when I feel so down, He shows me how deeply I need him. He patiently lets me pour out my heart to him and draws me into his arms. It a beautiful thing to be humbled at the cross, with nothing left to give, and yet he accepts me and gives me strength.

When I am broken, I have to cling to him and trust that he will see me through. And how incredible it is at that first glimmer of hope when things start to make sense again!

I had an intense struggle with one of my projects - creating an information graphic of time and space about the gulf oil spill. I kept trying and trying, with nothing that sparked my interest. Everything I did was generic and boring. God kept me fighting and I finally had a breakthrough on Sunday night. It's such a vulnerable thing, design school... You pour your heart into something and then bring it to class, timidly holding it out to show friends and teachers, praying that they don't rip it to shreds or give it a mere shoulder shrug and an "eh." What a relief when I don't get that!

God has provided me with some wonderful people to get me through... my parents are so incredibly supportive, even when I'm down/grumpy/frustrated and my mom always knows how to comfort me better than anyone on this planet. And Jason. I can't even begin to describe how much this boy does for me. He continually amazes me with how much he can give, so selflessly. Simply put, my heart is full.

Here's a sneak peak at what I've been working on. It's a work in progress, but finally, I'm proud.

2 comments:

  1. loooookkkkkin GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD(insert my black voice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay God gets the credit when we give him our all! I love how vulnerable you can be in words ems.

    ReplyDelete