Friday, September 24, 2010

Curry and burnt sienna


As Jason and I were mixing up some curry chicken salad the other night, life became a little more vivid for me. Chicken, mayonnaise, grapes, apples, celery, onion, pepper, curry... and some more curry (yum)... I became very aware of the adding, the combining, the mixing. It really is an art form. Just like a painter picks a red from his palette and spreads it on the page, then adds a little burnt sienna, steps back, adds a little more.

Thankfully, a wise friend helped me connect the two. One day, when I was speaking with my teacher about my information graphic, he likened design to cooking. We really don't know how it's going to turn out until it's all done, so we keep working and layering, being sure to taste along the way. He has such a lovely appreciation for life and I wish you could all meet him.

I'm learning to appreciate design more for the entire experience, rather than just the end result. Really, isn't this how life is? Sometimes I become so focused on the prize that I'm not enjoying the journey. This is one reason I love my design program so much. We learn not just how to make a great final product, but more importantly, to accept and cherish the process. A good design doesn't come immediately; rather, from exploration and experimentation. Some experiments taste good, some don't. It's all part of the process.

Note: Forgive the bad picture, but I snapped this after I began thinking about the layering. Someday I will have a beautiful camera that will take beautiful pictures, but for now, this is what I have. And I'm okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment