Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wishes and Candles

I turned 22 yesterday. (Finally!)

I got treated to some cupcakes at work and cheesecake when I got home. Jason made this card for me.

With some of my birthday money, I bought this lil beauty today. Someday I want to have some nicer film cameras, but for now this will be a fun way to mix things up. I'm hoping this camera will give me a new perspective and inspiration to be more creative.


This is before we left for dinner. Apologies for the wonky eye in the left picture. In the right, we're throwin up 2s in honor of my big day.


We went to Liberty Market for dinner. It was yummy! The pizza got a little burnt, oops!, but overall I enjoyed it.

Also yesterday was a reception for the recipients of the ASU Parents Association scholarship. Being that Jason was one of lucky winners, I was able to join him at the reception. They said that only 50 were chosen out of 600 applicants - yeah, my husband is pretty cool.

They asked all the recipients to line up at the front and tell a little bit of their story. A little unorthodox, but a lot of people had overcome difficult situations so it was encouraging to listen. One girl talked about how grateful she was with tears in her eyes and a trembling voice. She was a freshman, and a graphic design major. My heart went out to her and I felt the need to reach out, as strange as I may come off to her. After the ceremony was over, I found her and gave her my email and phone number. Mostly because I wish that when I first started in the program, I could have had someone to ask questions, someone's who already been there. I don't know if she'll ever contact me, but I feel grateful that God has put me in the place where I can now help others. I saw myself in her eyes; young, excited, scared, clueless, hopeful. It's good to be reminded of where I came from, and how far God has brought me.

School starts tomorrow.

Am I ready? Of course not. I cringe when I think about the mental, physical, and emotional stress I am voluntarily entering into. And yet, I've come so far. Like the little engine that could, I'm going to keep pushing as long as God keeps me here. The thing I'm most excited about is to see my classmates shining faces after a whole summer without them. I'm grateful for a school program where I can actually develop genuine friendships with my classmates.

Bring it on, ASU.

3 comments:

  1. Camera cheating!? emily...
    Good luck at school!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero... always and forever. Also, I love you. Also, I love the yellow bathtub in your previous post. Lastly, I'm glad you had a good birthday. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like the camera! It sounds like the burday was fun! I want to hear how your first day went....I MISSSSSSS YYYYOOOOUUUUUUUUUU

    ReplyDelete