Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Marriage Lessons

To preface this post, my apologies for the lack of photos on my blog. I haven't been taking too many pictures of my life lately, and the ones I have taken, I've been too lazy to do anything with them. So you're stuck with me and my thoughts, nothing else!

Jason and I are getting pre-marital counseling from our pastor of FBC Safford and his wife. Last meeting, Ken challenged us to find a verse that will represent our marriage.

We have settled on Ephesians 5:1-2.
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. (New American Standard)

This verse is a wonderful reminder that we love because Christ first loved us. We hope to show Christ's love in and through our marriage as we learn to be more like Jesus.

I orginally wasn't planning on saying anything else in this post, but I think this is a wonderful place to document where I am in my life. I was reminded of what I'm learning about service and would like to share it here. I've lived very selfishly for most of my life. Caring about myself first and foremost, with my own needs as my priority. Once I began my relationship with Jason, it was hard to shift my focus. Slowly, slowly, I am learning as God is gently guiding me.

Far too often I focus on what I'm getting out of the relationship and how well I'm being treated and how much love I'm getting. See a pattern? It's all about me, me, me. Then I become critical and dissatisfied, FAST. This is nothing against Jason, because he treats me far better than I could have imagined - it's my attitude that's wrong. I'm learning to seek ways to serve him and it's so much more rewarding when I have his well-being in mind. Some are fun to do, like sending him a love note in the mail, and some are not so fun, like taking his plate to the sink after dinner; but to make our relationship work, I have to be intentional about loving him. This is a lifelong lesson, I'm sure, but I'm so thankful I have Jesus's example and promise that he will help me every step of the way.

Colossians 3:14, 17
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity... Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

2 comments:

  1. I just reading your posts!!! I'm so grateful for the example you set for me...honestly your relationship with Jason is one that I look up to so much!! I love you and miss you like crazy! Can't wait to see you in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously I meant what I said, if you need me to do anything to help with the wedding, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete