Tuesday, June 30, 2009

2 cups of flour

It was Jason's birthday on Thursday and he came to visit on Friday. His favorite cake is Mexican Fruit Cake. A few weeks ago, I was looking through my old recipes with him and we found our 8th grade recipe book (word up to all you Powell-lovers) and Jason had submitted the cake recipe. I was pleasantly surprised to now have the recipe and secretly began planning to make his favorite cake for him.
I asked my roommate Jess to come pick me up on my lunch break so it would be fresh when he got here at 5. I had an hour so I figured I had plenty of time. While I thought the idea of a mexican fruit cake was, well, yucky; Jess said her mom used to make it and she loved it. So I ploughed on ahead making it. Once I had all the ingredients in the bowl, I thought it looked really soupy but I'd never made it before so I figured it would be ok.
I put it in the oven. The recipe said it should be golden brown on top and a toothpick will come out clean. Fast forward thirty minutes. I peer into the oven and find the cake still bubbling. Uh oh. Pretty sure it's not done. I wait until I'm late for work and after an hour of baking, it is STILL bubbly. I leave it in the good hands of Kellie in hopes that maybe it will magically cook.
When I get back to work, I google mexican fruit cake. I find the exact recipe except for one thing - two cups of flour. Ah ha, it all makes sense now.
Moral of the story, don't trust a 13 year-old Jason.

Here it is in all its goopy glory

3 comments:

  1. Haha good ole Home Ec...I haven't attempted to make pretty much any of those recipes because who knows how they'll turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha that is the funniest thing! How'd it taste!? I made him that cake last year and I sure didn't use any home ec recipe... But I bet my mom was the one who typed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahaha! I'm surprised Mrs. Powell didn't like scour the recipes to reprimand us for our mistakes. She let us down this time... Hey remember: "Sixth period, sixth period..."

    ReplyDelete