Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's a hard-knock life

...for me. I'm into my third day of ASU and it's overwhelming. I knew the first week would be hard, but in other ways than I had expected. Getting to school is more complicated than I would like but I'm learning to deal with it. I drive 5-10 minutes to my friend and coworker Lacie's apartment in Tempe, then load the free city Orbit bus (after sometimes waiting 5-15 minutes) which takes me to campus in about 10 minutes. From there I walk to my class which can take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes depending on where my class is. I don't want to complain about this because I am avoiding spending $300 on a parking ticket and using less gas for my car but still...it's hard to plan around traffic and the bus route and still make it to class on time.
Oh, and did I mention it's hot here??? It's HOT. Walking around campus in 110 degree weather is not something I would recommend. I have sweated more in the past few weeks than I have in my entire life. It's gross. I can't wait for the cooler (er, at least as cool as it gets here) winter months.
There is also the looming threat of not even getting into my major. There is about 250 pre-graphic design majors vying for 44 spots. Only 44 of us will get into the program. I have less than a 20% chance. Graphic design is what I love and what I want to study, but that's a lot pressure and competition to deal with. I just want to do my best and then hope and pray that it's enough. I am constantly humbled at my complete innability to survive ASU if I didn't have God on my side. There have already been some bumps in the road as I begin my ASU journey, and I know there are plenty of bumps and dips and detours up ahead, but I know that God will always be there for me, whether it be giving me the stamina to do well on a test or for comfort when I mess something up. God is good and no matter what happens in the future, I know that He has a plan for me and everything will work out for His purpose.
So here I go... just like the little engine that could. "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!"

3 comments:

  1. oh buttkiss!! I miss you! You know me and I'm a big believer in "it will happen if it's meant to be" Everything will work out sweetie! I can't wait to see you this weekend and just think...when I see you, you will successfully survived your first week of school. First week is the worst, I promise! I love you buttkiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES it is called join the club! I feel the same way! I love you and can't wait to see you again on campus!

    ReplyDelete